- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Heavy snow forecast for East Coast
The mountain regions of Virginia and North Carolina are expected to get a mix of snow and ice.
Virginia Gov. TIm Kaine on Friday declared a state of emergency.
“The snowfall amounts along with strong winds could cause serious problems, including power outages throughout much of Virginia,” he said in a statement. “Virginians need to pay attention to their local weather forecasters, avoid travel and prepare to be on their own for up to 72 hours.” D.C.’s Department of Transportation said crews began treating roads with brine late Thursday — hitting elevated roadways, bridges and hilly streets before moving to major arteries.
Agency spokesman John Lisle said the city has budgeted $6.2 million for snow removal this year but such a big storm “can eat up a lot of your budget.”
The impending storm sent East Coast residents to stores, which quickly sold out of such staples as bread and milk. By mid-afternoon, local goverments began announcing closings.
The University of Maryland College Park canceled commencement ceremonies scheduled for Saturday and will reschedule exams.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Russian bombers buzz U.K. airspace; jets scrambled to chase off 'Bears'
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- ISTOOK: Obama's sleight of hand hides hidden government's work
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014