- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 22, 2009

PARIS | Eurostar said it would resume its high-speed rail service linking Britain, France and Belgium on Tuesday after a three-day suspension that stranded tens of thousands of travelers and left French President Nicolas Sarkozy indignant.

Officials at the Eurostar train company said they had identified the problem that caused the suspension: unusually dry, powdery snow that got into the trains’ engines. However, more snow was forecast for early Tuesday - just as train service would be getting back up to speed.

With as many as 40,000 people affected by the suspension, and TV channels broadcasting images of would-be travelers holed up in train stations, Eurostar tried to make amends by offering its “deepest apologies” and promising compensation.

France’s rail woes were not limited to the Eurostar, though.

A suburban Paris train went off the tracks Sunday night, prompting part of the line to be shut down temporarily. Another suburban train line was crippled by strikes that entered their second week Monday, snarling Paris traffic and wreaking havoc on holiday shoppers.

Mr. Sarkozy on Monday summoned the head of France’s SNCF rail operator, Guillaume Pepys, into the Elysee Palace and ordered him to get the Eurostar moving again, saying the situation was “unacceptable for travelers.”

Problems started Friday after five trains failed inside the Channel Tunnel, trapping more than 2,000 passengers for hours in stuffy and claustrophobic conditions. Exhausted, sometimes teary passengers appeared in British and French TV broadcasts complaining that they had been left underground for more than 15 hours, without food or water or any clear idea of what was going on.

Eurostar Chief Executive Richard Brown, who has faced stiff criticism over the company’s handling of the crisis, said limited service would resume Tuesday and pledged that “we will be doing our very best to get everyone home by Christmas.”

Priority will be given to those stranded for days, as well as to the elderly and people with children, Eurostar’s operations chief Nicolas Petrovic said.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide