- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Knott: Henry’s story ends with more confusion
Or was his good behavior since August 2008 merely a recognition that he was out of chances, that the good life of the NFL would be gone if his name appeared on a police blotter again?
“In six years of knowing each other - through hard times, good times - we loved each other very much,” the weeping fiancee said at the funeral. “People say I changed his life. No. He changed mine.”
There were undoubtedly many sides to Henry, not all bad but bad enough.
That is the lesson, if one is necessary, for it was his reckless behavior that led to his life being snuffed out way too soon.
No one forced him to get into the bed of the truck, certainly not the woman looking to make a getaway, looking to find a space all to herself until she could sort out whatever it was that fueled their quarrel.
Yet Henry could not let it be.
So now he is celebrated in death far more than he was in life.
That reveals more about the living than the departed. They are left to make sense of the senseless, a useless proposition.
Henry made no sense to the end.
He is gone at 26, a life too brief, the currency that encourages the modified reflections.
He earned an accommodation after eschewing the fast life of the NFL, which is not fair to the countless professional athletes who never go there, who do not need a graduate degree in real life to know that nothing good comes from the street life.
That is the unfinished legacy of Henry.
About the Author
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.