- The Washington Times - Monday, December 28, 2009

UPDATED:

SAN’A, Yemen — The Yemeni government said Monday that the Nigerian accused in the Christmas Day attack on a U.S. airliner visited Yemen this year.

In a statement, the Yemeni Foreign Ministry said Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was in Yemen from August until early December after receiving a visa to study Arabic in a school in Sana’a.

Monday’s statement said Mr. Abdulmutallab had previously studied at the school, indicating it was not his first trip to Yemen.

The ministry said authorities are investigating persons whom the suspect contacted while in Yemen.

Earlier Monday, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the attack and said it was retaliation for a U.S. operation against the group in Yemen.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide