WEDNESDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
The Capitals give their new-look lineup its first test run at San Jose. 10 p.m., CSN
NEWSMAKERS ” WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
The coach’s decision to pull the then-perfect Colts’ starters with a lead in Week 16 shouldn’t have been so resoundingly panned. They were leading, after all.
The well-traveled outfielder gets a $66 million payday from the New York Mets, who’ve never been shy about wasting money.
Once considered quirky, the Texas Tech football coach suddenly seems a lot more creepy. He also needs a better lawyer.
What’s in the water in Gainesville? A few years ago, Billy Donovan quit and came back to Florida, and now Meyer has done the same in less than 24 hours.
He booted a 61-yard field goal — the NFL’s fourth-longest — in another Raiders loss. Get Stats Inc. on the horn: How many meaningful kicks has this guy tried?
TWT FIVE >> REMAINING FREE AGENT HITTERS
1. Matt Holliday, OF — Cream of the crop batted .353 for St. Louis.
2. Jermaine Dye, OF/DH — Can still mash (27 HR last year in 141 games) when healthy.
3. Orlando Hudson, 2B — O-Dog is consistent in the field and at the plate.
4. Hank Blalock, 3B — Former phenom should come cheap, and he has potential.
5. Johnny Damon, OF — Has aged well with the Yankees (he’s 36) and can do a little bit of everything at the plate.