- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Plackemeier gets boot
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
The Washington Redskins added punter to their list of needs this offseason by waiving Ryan Plackemeier on Thursday.
Signed in October to replace Durant Brooks, Plackemeier punted in the Redskins' final 10 games but averaged only 33.9 net yards on 55 attempts. That ranked last in the league among players with more than 20 punts.
The Redskins ranked last in the NFL in net punting. Plackemeier will count a small amount against the Redskins' salary cap because he was signed to a two-year contract when he won the job after Brooks' release.
The only punter under contract is Zac Atterberry, who was signed to a futures contract earlier this winter and has no regular-season attempts. He attended Lindenwood, an NAIA program, and was in the Chicago Bears' camp last preseason.
Since the start of 2004, the Redskins have employed five punters, and only Derrick Frost lasted at least two years. Frost lost a training camp battle last summer to Brooks, the rookie draft pick who lasted only six games.
The Redskins are expected to sign another punter for training camp, and the only marquee name on the free agent list is Shane Lechler, who is expected to be retained by Oakland.
- Ryan O'Halloran
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow