- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Rancher cleared in rights case
Question of the Day
The ranch sits 50 miles east of Douglas in what Cochise County, Ariz., law enforcement authorities call “the avenue of choice” for illegal immigration.
Mr. Barnett said intruders on his ranch tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home. Some of his cattle died from ingesting the plastic bottles left behind by the immigrants, he said, adding that he installed a faucet on an 8,000-gallon water tank so the immigrants would stop damaging the tank to get water.
A former Cochise County sheriff’s deputy who later became successful in the towing and propane business, Mr. Barnett said he carried a pistol during his searches for the immigrants and a rifle in his truck “for protection” against immigrant and drug smugglers. He said he has rounded up as many as 86 illegal immigrants in one night. He said he turns over those he apprehends to the Border Patrol.
His sprawling ranch became an illegal-immigration highway when the Border Patrol - backed by an infusion of manpower, equipment and technology - diverted its attention to several border towns in an effort to take control of the established ports of entry. That effort moved the illegal immigrants to the remote areas of the border, including the Cross Rail Ranch.
About the Author
- With bombs away, drug traffickers and illegal immigrants make their play
- Medical-device company exec admits to bilking shareholders of $400M
- Justice Dept: Florida's disabled children unnecessarily put in nursing facilities
- Philadelphia mobster sentenced to 11 years as city cleans up crime
- Man gets 11 years in Philadelphia mob crackdown
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- On border quagmire, Obama passes the buck to Congress
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- D'Souza on Costco debacle: 'It was really bizarre'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener