- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Napolitano debates Real ID
Question of the Day
“At the very least, Secretary Napolitano should follow the Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee’s recent suggestion that DHS improve the Real ID final rule,” Miss Hofmann said. “Of course, the biggest problem with Real ID is the law itself, so we hope Secretary Napolitano works with Congress to do away with this fundamentally flawed program.”
The advisory committee sent a letter to Miss Napolitano on Feb. 5 with 16 recommendations on privacy issues facing the department, including the need for more privacy officers for different components of the agency and creating a culture of privacy throughout the agency. The advisory committee also asked Miss Napolitano to review privacy and data security issues pertaining to the Real ID program.
Meanwhile, Miss Napolitano also announced Thursday that Mary Ellen Callahan has been appointed as the department´s Chief Privacy Officer.
“Homeland security and privacy are not mutually exclusive, and having a seasoned professional like Mary Ellen on the team further ensures that privacy is built in to everything we do,” Miss Napolitano said.
Ms. Callahan, a law partner at Hogan and Hartson specializing in privacy, security, and data protection is also the co-chairman of Online Privacy Alliance, a group of corporations dedicated to creating online trust and privacy.
About the Author
this is a bio
- Flight security stiffened after failed plot
- Alleged terrorist charged with attempt to explode plane
- Airlines told to limit plane's time on tarmac
- Government imposes 3-hour limit on tarmac strandings
- Millions spent on security retreats
Latest Blog Entries
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- TYRRELL: The birth of a new alignment in the Middle East
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq