- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
HELLER: Welcome diversion for fading Hoyas
For Smith, the championship win was extra special. He was a member of the 1982 Hoyas, who lost the Final Four finale to North Carolina 63-62 after Hoyas guard Fred Brown infamously tossed a pass to the Tar Heels’ James Worthy in the closing seconds.
“I felt bad for Freddy, but I missed a free throw right before that that would have tied the score,” he said with a chuckle. “I’m glad nobody brought that up this weekend.”
Broadnax, now the coach at Savannah State, savored his second trip to Verizon Center much more than the first on Dec. 8, when the Hoyas hammered his squad 100-38.
“What I learned most in four years at Georgetown was not to give up,” he said. “It was extremely tough because Coach Thompson pushed us really hard. I could have quit and walked away - but I didn’t. What he gave me was a foundation [for the rest of my life].”
So the memories and the magic that used to be Georgetown basketball lived anew over the weekend, and now the latter-day Hoyas need to create some of their own.
Wait till next year.
About the Author
- HELLER: Peering into a cracked crystal ball
- HELLER: Jack Pardee a class act during his days in D.C.
- HELLER: Stability is why ACC basketball became a power
- HELLER: Instead of swinging, Eddie Yost just walked away
- HELLER: Not to worry, Nationals' rise is just starting
Latest Blog Entries
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.