- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
Redskins to pursue Crowell?
In three years as a starter, he posted 119, 82 and 126 tackles but missed last year when he opted to have knee surgery late in the preseason. Even though he would have been out only four to six weeks, the Bills objected to the operation and placed him on injured reserve. A league source said there’s “no chance” Crowell will be back in Buffalo.
Crowell will turn 28 in August. If the Redskins sign him, that would allow them to address their offensive and defensive line issues with the No. 13 pick.
- “Ugh” and “Seriously?” were the responses of those at the combine when told the Redskins might bring Jason Taylor back. It makes no sense fiscally or performancewise. He made 37 tackles (according to the NFL) in 526 snaps (according to The Washington Times). Taylor said late in the season, “This dog can still hunt.” But what he wouldn’t admit is that the hunting conditions weren’t optimum.
If Taylor is back, it’s up to coordinator Greg Blache to create situations in which Taylor can be productive. They started moving him around the field late in the season - on the same side as Andre Carter and in a two-point stance over a guard - to increase his production.
“There wasn’t ever enough time for him to feel comfortable,” coach Jim Zorn said.
- In addition to having high expectations for receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, Zorn plans to use tight end Fred Davis dramatically more this year. He played only 111 of 1,026 offensive plays as a rookie.
“We’re glad we [drafted Davis],” Zorn said. “He’s a tremendous athlete. He’s going to help this football team. … It was an excellent pick.”
- Zorn said the Redskins’ sack (24) and interception (13) totals will improve but defended the lack of pressure on first and second downs by pointing out the defense was eighth against the run.
“We had good athletes and our scheme was very run-limiting,” he said. “It’s not cautious, but it’s disciplined. … We would all like a much stronger pass rush on third down, and we’re working on improving that. We’re not satisfied with the lack of sacks and the lack of interceptions. We’re going to get better in those two areas.”
- Texas defensive end/linebacker Brian Orakpo injured his hamstring during Monday’s workout after he was fourth in the 40-yard dash (4.70 seconds), second in the vertical jump (39.5 inches) and seventh in bench press (31) among linemen.
Count on the Redskins attending the Longhorns’ pro day in Austin on March 25, regardless of whether they have addressed the strongside linebacker opening.
- West Virginia’s Pat White was one of the big winners during the quarterback workout - and not just as a gadget player. A position coach confirmed what everyone saw on television - White has an accurate arm and posted the best marks in the 40-yard dash (4.55 seconds) and vertical jump (35 inches).
Also helping himself was Kansas State’s Josh Freeman, who asked several teams whether he compares to the Redskins’ Jason Campbell. Freeman checked in at 6-foot-6, 248 pounds; Campbell was 6-5, 233 in last year’s media guide.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.