- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
CIA giving Obama economic analyses
In his first meeting with reporters, the CIA chief also said that South America - particularly Argentina, Ecuador and Venezuela - is facing serious economic hardships that could lead to internal political and economic crises.
He said that it is essential to provide the president with economic briefings that “cover overseas developments, economic, political leadership developments.”
“The intelligence community, with the CIA in the lead, is producing a publication each day focusing on global economic issues,” Mr. Panetta said.
The first economic intelligence brief was issued Wednesday to “key players” in the Obama administration and will continue to be delivered to the president´s office daily.
The global economic crisis has taken center stage in the intelligence community. Earlier this month, U.S. intelligence agencies told Congress that roughly a quarter of the world’s governments have experienced instability owing to the economy.
A recent annual threat assessment produced by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence suggested that the economic crisis is replacing terrorism as the greater threat.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014