- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
- Berkshire County eschews greenback for own currency — BerkShares
- Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Florida authorities ban autistic boy from owning therapeutic chickens
- Defendant in Lee Rigby machete murder trial: ‘I love al Qaeda’
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, ‘cherry-picked’ intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a ‘wealthy white men’ racist word
CIA giving Obama economic analyses
In his first meeting with reporters, the CIA chief also said that South America - particularly Argentina, Ecuador and Venezuela - is facing serious economic hardships that could lead to internal political and economic crises.
He said that it is essential to provide the president with economic briefings that “cover overseas developments, economic, political leadership developments.”
“The intelligence community, with the CIA in the lead, is producing a publication each day focusing on global economic issues,” Mr. Panetta said.
The first economic intelligence brief was issued Wednesday to “key players” in the Obama administration and will continue to be delivered to the president´s office daily.
The global economic crisis has taken center stage in the intelligence community. Earlier this month, U.S. intelligence agencies told Congress that roughly a quarter of the world’s governments have experienced instability owing to the economy.
A recent annual threat assessment produced by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence suggested that the economic crisis is replacing terrorism as the greater threat.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
This column will cover anything that has anything remotely to do with the game of baseball, from the game itself to mid-summer trades to offseason moves.
Wondering why the same conflicts keep happening? Time to dig deeper. Ferret out the root cause.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Ever wondered why people have such trouble getting along?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow