- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Obama to wait on Gitmo closure
Question of the Day
The ABC interview followed Mr. Obama’s weekly radio address on Saturday, in which he increased the figures for his stimulus plan, saying it could save or create between 3.3 million and 4.1 million jobs, a jump of more than 1 million from his previous estimate.
The president-elect’s week ahead will be busy.
On Monday, Mr. Obama will meet with Mexican President Felipe Calderon. The majority of his Cabinet picks face confirmation hearings this week in the Senate.
Mr. Obama said he is confident his attorney-general nominee, Eric Holder, will be confirmed despite expected resistance from Senate Republicans. He noted that Mr. Holder has said his role in President Clinton’s pardon of Marc Rich was a mistake, and he insisted no one is more qualified.
“This is a man of unimpeachable integrity. I have every confidence that he will be confirmed,” he said.
About the Author
Christina Bellantoni is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times in Washington, D.C., a post she took after covering the 2008 Democratic presidential campaigns. She has been with The Times since 2003, covering state and Congressional politics before moving to national political beat for the 2008 campaign. Bellantoni, a San Jose native, graduated from UC Berkeley with ...
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq