- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Bush sees dangers closing Gitmo
Question of the Day
He predicted that the economic collapse will teach consumers a lesson.
“I think we come back better. I think we come back with a better appreciation of not borrowing too much money, of not creating financial instruments that are hard to understand, of not giving implicit guarantees to government institutions that encouraged them to go out and lend a lot of money in the first place,” he said.
The president likened the Republican Party’s political situation today to the period after the 1964 election, when President Johnson defeated Republican nominee Barry Goldwater in a landslide and Mr. Bush’s father lost a bid for the Senate.
Mr. Bush said the Republican Party rebounded in 1966. It “didn’t change its philosophy but came out with a message that was appealing to people from all walks of life,” and bounced the old leadership in favor of “a group of young candidates that said, ‘We are the future,’” he said.
Asked how he wanted to be remembered, Mr. Bush said: “President Bush was the president at a time that our nation was attacked. He clearly saw the dangers; he pursued the enemy; he put tools in place so the professionals could better protect the American people, and the homeland was not attacked.”
About the Author
- McCain believes Iran election was rigged
- Bush sees dangers closing Gitmo
- WALL: The president's not-so-Secret Service
- WALL: Celebrate Christmas
- WALL: Blago's blunders
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq