- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Bush sees dangers closing Gitmo
He predicted that the economic collapse will teach consumers a lesson.
“I think we come back better. I think we come back with a better appreciation of not borrowing too much money, of not creating financial instruments that are hard to understand, of not giving implicit guarantees to government institutions that encouraged them to go out and lend a lot of money in the first place,” he said.
The president likened the Republican Party’s political situation today to the period after the 1964 election, when President Johnson defeated Republican nominee Barry Goldwater in a landslide and Mr. Bush’s father lost a bid for the Senate.
Mr. Bush said the Republican Party rebounded in 1966. It “didn’t change its philosophy but came out with a message that was appealing to people from all walks of life,” and bounced the old leadership in favor of “a group of young candidates that said, ‘We are the future,’” he said.
Asked how he wanted to be remembered, Mr. Bush said: “President Bush was the president at a time that our nation was attacked. He clearly saw the dangers; he pursued the enemy; he put tools in place so the professionals could better protect the American people, and the homeland was not attacked.”
About the Author
- McCain believes Iran election was rigged
- Bush sees dangers closing Gitmo
- WALL: The president's not-so-Secret Service
- WALL: Celebrate Christmas
- WALL: Blago's blunders
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Defiant Reid vows Bundy ranch confrontation 'not over'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.