Whatever else may be said about him, President-elect Barack Obama sure knows how to draw A-list talent. The recently announced Inaugural Rally at the Lincoln Memorial, set for Sunday afternoon, will feature the likes of Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks and more. As ever, we’re rich with playlist suggestions.
1. A Change Is Gonna Come - A Sam Cooke classic, recently covered by Seal. A natural duet by Bono and Beyonce?
2. Chimes of Freedom - A choice Bob Dylan cover by Mr. Springsteen, circa 1988. Now’s the perfect time to revisit it.
3. The Americans - On his underrated 2007 LP “Freedom’s Road,” Mr. Mellencamp offered up this slice of measured patriotism. Its refrain (“I’m an American and I respect you and your point of view”) seems an appropriate summing-up of Mr. Obama’s vow of bipartisanship.
4. A Change (Would Do You Good) - The hit single from Miss Crow has been burrowed into your skull since 1996, and it sorely needs an updated context since being employed in Jiffy Lube commercials.
5. Friends in Low Places - Mr. Brooks’ anthem of low-rent livin’. With Democrats weathering the ethics troubles of Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, Rep. Charles B. Rangel and Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon, we couldn’t resist.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Empowering mind/body/spirit and health dialogue along with cutting-edge, conscious social, political, and world commentary with Adam Omkara. Join the Evolution!
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Join the Communities and submit your column in response to one written, or on something totally new and unique. We want to hear from you
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall