- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Top 5: Must-do songs at inaugural rally
Whatever else may be said about him, President-elect Barack Obama sure knows how to draw A-list talent. The recently announced Inaugural Rally at the Lincoln Memorial, set for Sunday afternoon, will feature the likes of Bono, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks and more. As ever, we’re rich with playlist suggestions.
1. A Change Is Gonna Come - A Sam Cooke classic, recently covered by Seal. A natural duet by Bono and Beyonce?
2. Chimes of Freedom - A choice Bob Dylan cover by Mr. Springsteen, circa 1988. Now’s the perfect time to revisit it.
3. The Americans - On his underrated 2007 LP “Freedom’s Road,” Mr. Mellencamp offered up this slice of measured patriotism. Its refrain (“I’m an American and I respect you and your point of view”) seems an appropriate summing-up of Mr. Obama’s vow of bipartisanship.
4. A Change (Would Do You Good) - The hit single from Miss Crow has been burrowed into your skull since 1996, and it sorely needs an updated context since being employed in Jiffy Lube commercials.
5. Friends in Low Places - Mr. Brooks’ anthem of low-rent livin’. With Democrats weathering the ethics troubles of Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich, Rep. Charles B. Rangel and Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon, we couldn’t resist.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Richard Ivory, editor-in-chief of Hip Hop Republicans and HHR at Communities Digital News, turns his interests, and pen, to the people making news today.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow