- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
SOLUTIONS/GRAHAM: Who should pay for Inauguration Day festivities?
Perhaps millions of visitors from across the country will visit the District for this historic occasion. All of them hope to be a part of history - whether standing shoulder to shoulder on the Mall or sitting in a local restaurant.
We are privileged to be the capital city of this country. We are honored to host the inauguration of this country’s highest leader. We invite our fellow citizens to take part in the celebration. And we will do our best to make them safe and comfortable.
However, we cannot do this without being compensated. Our hospitality to the federal government is expensive. Our police force will be charged with protecting visitors who do not pay taxes here. Visitors must travel through our streets to reach inauguration activities on federal land.
Our agencies face the challenge of managing this event on the federal government’s terms. Therefore, the federal government should pay the costs of their own plans.
• Jim Graham represents Ward 1 on the D.C. Council.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.