- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
SOLUTIONS/GRAHAM: Who should pay for Inauguration Day festivities?
Perhaps millions of visitors from across the country will visit the District for this historic occasion. All of them hope to be a part of history - whether standing shoulder to shoulder on the Mall or sitting in a local restaurant.
We are privileged to be the capital city of this country. We are honored to host the inauguration of this country’s highest leader. We invite our fellow citizens to take part in the celebration. And we will do our best to make them safe and comfortable.
However, we cannot do this without being compensated. Our hospitality to the federal government is expensive. Our police force will be charged with protecting visitors who do not pay taxes here. Visitors must travel through our streets to reach inauguration activities on federal land.
Our agencies face the challenge of managing this event on the federal government’s terms. Therefore, the federal government should pay the costs of their own plans.
• Jim Graham represents Ward 1 on the D.C. Council.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014