- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
- California church handing out ‘travel cash’ to illegals heading east
- PHILLIPS: Liberal lawyers ensuring illegal aliens are never deported
- Chris Christie leading N.H. GOP presidential field; Mitt Romney lingers large
- NYC creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida judge slaps GOP’s redistricting plans: You ‘made a mockery’ of process
- Muslims give Obama high marks over first half of 2014
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’
- Texas shooting suspect had faced other charges
GREEN & GLOVER: Head over heels
Question of the Day
Head over heels
In the District on Tuesday to play for the Washington Kastles in a World Team Tennis match, Serena Williams paid a visit to the White House.
"It was amazing," the reigning Wimbledon champ effused during a news conference before her match. "I loved President Obama! He has such an unbelievable presence yet seems to be so normal. He noticed my shoes! I think that was the highlight of my whole day! He liked my shoes."
Noting her Fendis "were like 5 inches," she continued: "He asked me should I be wearing high heels, so I thought that was kind of funny. He may have been right. It is a job hazard for me, but I insist on wearing them."
Later she added, "The first lady was amazing. I didn't know she had such an amazing personality. She had me cracking up and laughing. The kids were just so cute, and the dog was nice."
We asked Ms. Williams whether she had been following the hearings on Capitol Hill for Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor. "No," she replied.
With a life full of tennis, fashion and high-level hobnobbing, we imagine it would be tough for her to find time to be a true wonk.
Down and dirty
G2 and the newly crowned Miss District of Columbia Jen Corey are going to get along famously. The Long Island native's slogan as Miss D.C. will be "Let's talk trash."
"Businesses and government offices in the District are responsible for most of the trash in the city. There is more trash here than in the surrounding areas," the former contestant in the Sweet Corn Festival National Sweetheart Pageant in Hoopeston, Ill. told us.
Is she referring to the dirt involving former Mayor Marion Barry, recently accused by a former girlfriend of stalking? Nope.
The spring college graduate says she is going to use the magic of her crown and class of her title to seek stricter recycling laws and accountability for litterbugs.
Miss Corey, a classically trained opera singer who favors the operas of Puccini, inherited the crown from Kate Marie Grinold on Sunday and will use her stage training as an opera performer to present her message to D.C. audiences in a "fun way." For example, she would like to create "an educational DVD" for children to teach them the importance of recycling and harm in littering.
The blond bombshell, who studied music at American University, readily admits that her foray into political activism came as a result of her preparation for the pageant world.
"Politics never crossed my mind until I had to start reading newspapers to get ready to represent the District of Columbia," she says.
Miss Corey, who works at the Washington National Opera, volunteered to G2 that she is an "independent," but "disagreed" with former Miss California Carrie Prejean's stance against gay marriage.
"I do think that people should be able to say what they believe, but she did not do it very eloquently, which is the whole point of the interview part of the pageant," she says.
We hereby coronate Miss Corey honorary lady spy.
• To contact Stephanie Green or Elizabeth Glover, e-mail email@example.com.
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs