- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
KNOTT: By any other name, Rose scandal will fade
It was Harrick who once famously tested his student-athletes at Georgia with the following question: How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a basketball game?
University presidents have no choice but to play along with the game. Successful football and basketball programs are the lifeblood of all too many academically ordinary institutions. A high-profile athletic program turns on the money spigot, increases student applications and results in an avalanche of publicity that no university could afford.
George Mason is still prospering from its Final Four appearance in 2006, its national profile upgraded in a significant way.
That is the dollar-chasing deal, unseemly as it often is.
Everybody wins until the next time, and there is always a next time.
There is always something being uncovered from the college athletic landfill.
This time it is a D in a high school course magically becoming a C. This time it is someone other than the athlete taking his SAT.
And it all will be forgotten soon enough.
So dust off your pompoms. See if you are low on face paint.
Another BCS-marred college football season is nearing.
About the Author
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.