- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
KNOTT: By any other name, Rose scandal will fade
Question of the Day
It was Harrick who once famously tested his student-athletes at Georgia with the following question: How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a basketball game?
University presidents have no choice but to play along with the game. Successful football and basketball programs are the lifeblood of all too many academically ordinary institutions. A high-profile athletic program turns on the money spigot, increases student applications and results in an avalanche of publicity that no university could afford.
George Mason is still prospering from its Final Four appearance in 2006, its national profile upgraded in a significant way.
That is the dollar-chasing deal, unseemly as it often is.
Everybody wins until the next time, and there is always a next time.
There is always something being uncovered from the college athletic landfill.
This time it is a D in a high school course magically becoming a C. This time it is someone other than the athlete taking his SAT.
And it all will be forgotten soon enough.
So dust off your pompoms. See if you are low on face paint.
Another BCS-marred college football season is nearing.
About the Author
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq