- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
TWT freelance reporter arrested in Iran
An Iranian news agency reported Tuesday that the Islamic republic’s government had arrested a Washington Times reporter who had been covering the disputed election in that country.
The news agency Fars quoted the country’s director general of foreign media at the culture ministry as saying a Times reporter “of Greek origin” had been detained but I have “no idea about his offense,” according to the wire service Agence France Press.
The Iranian report did not identify the reporter by name but Times Executive Editor John Solomon said the newspaper believes he is Greek-born freelance journalist Iason Athanasiadis, who had covered the election and violent aftermath for the Times and disappeared a few days ago.
“We are aware of the report today by an Iranian news agency that one of our freelance reporters, Iason Athanasiadis, has been arrested by Iranian authorities,” Mr. Solomon said. “We have been trying diligently to ascertain Iason’s whereabouts. We understand that the Greek foreign ministry and the Greek ambassador in Tehran are diligently working to secure his swift release. We hope the situation will be resolved very soon.”
Iranian officials have launched a major crackdown on foreign and home-based news media as they try to quell massive street protests over last week’s election results.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes