- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
EXCLUSIVE: Fed seeks millions from ballplayers in Ponzi scheme
Question of the Day
The lawyer trying to recover the money from R. Allen Stanford’s purported Ponzi scheme wants seven current and former Major League Baseball stars who had invested with the accused swindler to turn over millions of dollars, mostly of the players’ own money.
Ralph S. Janvey, whom the Securities and Exchange Commission appointed as the “receiver” in the case, wants to take $9.5 million from the players, an amount that mostly consists of their initial investments, so that the athletes’ money can be split up among all of Mr. Stanford’s purported victims.
“The fact that the [ballplayers] are innocent investors and committed no wrongdoing does not entitle them to retain proceeds received from the fraudulent” scheme, lawyers for Mr. Janvey wrote in a filing last week with the U.S. District Court in Dallas.
Gene R. Besen, an attorney for all seven players, declined to comment on the move by the receiver.
Targeted by the filing are accounts at Pershing, a clearing broker used by Mr. Stanford and where brokerage accounts were held by retired pitcher Greg Maddux, retired New York Yankees slugger Bernie Williams, current Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon, Boston Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew, Texas Rangers outfielder Andruw Jones, Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Carlos Pena and Jay Bell, a shortstop who played for several teams before retiring in 2003.
David B. Smith, a Virginia lawyer who is co-chairman of the Forfeiture Abuse Task Force of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, said Mr. Janvey’s filing is “unusually aggressive.”
The players are not accused of wrongdoing, yet are being asked to turn over huge amounts, including the legitimately made money they invested at the start, not simply their profits, Mr. Smith noted.
“You get into these philosophical questions of what is really fair?” said Mr. Smith, who has represented the victims in several Ponzi scheme cases. “None of the cases that I have been involved in follow this scenario.”
Mr. Stanford pleaded not guilty Thursday in federal court in Houston to charges contained in a 21-count indictment that say he ran a $7 billion Ponzi scheme. Judge David Hittner on Friday ordered him held without bond pending a hearing Monday morning.
Authorities say Mr. Stanford sold fraudulent “certificates of deposit” that promised impossibly high returns.
In reality, investigators say, Mr. Stanford was simply running a Ponzi scheme, in which earlier investors were paid with money from new investors. Mr. Stanford also took much of the money for himself, authorities say, including a $1.6 million “personal loan” from money he received from investors.
The ballplayers were among the investors who just happened to make money from the apparently fraudulent “certificates of deposit.” The move against them is the first in which Mr. Janvey has sought to retrieve Stanford money paid out to innocent investors.
Mr. Janvey previously sought to seize $40 million from 66 financial advisers the government doesn’t accuse of wrongdoing, but who had been employed by Mr. Stanford. He has also asked a judge for permission to sell property belonging to Mr. Stanford.
Mr. Janvey and his lawyers at the Baker Botts firm, which made the filing, did not return phone and e-mail messages left by The Washington Times.
About the Author
Ben Conery is a member of the investigative team covering the Supreme Court and legal affairs. Prior to coming to The Washington Times in 2008, Mr. Conery covered criminal justice and legal affairs for daily newspapers in Connecticut and Massachusetts. He was a 2006 recipient of the New England Newspaper Association’s Publick Occurrences Award for a series of articles about ...
TWT Video Picks
By Edward Hudgins
Free thinkers could find a home in the Republican Party
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- U.S. evacuates embassy in Libya amid violent clashes between militias
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama: U.S. should 'embrace an economic patriotism that says we rise or fall together'
- CANNON: With Russia, different airline crash, same results
- Joan Rivers: CNN should be 'ashamed' of its Israel, Gaza reporting
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq