- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
LETTER TO EDITOR: These evil speed cameras
Question of the Day
(“Wider use of traffic cameras to help close budget gap,” Page 1, Wednesday) openly acknowledged that a plan to expand the use of D.C. traffic cameras is intended “to help close [the] budget gap” - as opposed to enhancing safety. Among other expensive gizmos to be employed will be lasers “to capture speeders in tunnels.”
Of course, nearly every speed trap is strategically placed at a section where the traffic flow is minimal, danger is nonexistent, and is in the opposite direction of the morning or evening rush-hour surge. The speed limit is lowered along the strategic couple of blocks to lure inattentive drivers into believing nothing has changed, as they coast along the uneventful, intersection-free, school-free stretch; then the speed limit returns to whatever it was before. The charade of cops and lasers is activated during periods when only those who travel the route frequently know to expect it, whereas everyone else will travel at the pace of traffic.
This form of entrapment ensures the continued filling of coffers, while reckless drivers weave in and out along busier stretches, honk their horns at careful drivers who refuse to “cut it close” at dangerous intersections, and tailgate on busy freeways.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world