- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Two Democratic incumbents, Justin M. Wilson and Timothy Lovain, were defeated.
Mr. Fannon’s win is the latest in a series of Republican victories in low-turnout elections in Northern Virginia, where Democrats dominate. Seventy-two percent of Alexandria voters cast ballots for President Obama in November.
Court OKs raid on Muslims’ home
A federal appeals court upheld the government’s search for evidence of terrorist support at a Northern Virginia home.
A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that federal agents acted reasonably when they broke down the door of a Muslim family’s home in Herndon, entered with guns drawn, and handcuffed Aysha Unus and her teenage daughter, Hanaa, during the four-hour search.
The raid was one of several conducted in the area in 2002, months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. It did not result in any charges.
The appeals court rejected the family’s claims of false imprisonment, assault and battery and unconstitutional search and seizure.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014