- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
Tuning In to TV
‘Jewels’ sparkles again
A&E Network will begin shining up the fourth season of “Gene Simmons Family Jewels” next month, Multichannel.com reports.
The show centers on the Kiss frontman and his mate, 1982 Playboy Playmate of the Year Shannon Tweed, and their brood. The new season is scheduled to begin June 7 at 10 p.m.
The 15-episode season begins with Sophie’s sweet-16 party. When a case of sibling rivalry spirals out of control, Nick pulls on dad’s heartstrings and his sense of theatrics to escalate the low-key party she wanted into the blowout of the century — much to the dismay of the shy Sophie.
In addition to Sophie’s soiree, the fourth season will give viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the entire family’s many adventures. Among the segments addressed in the reality series: Mr. Simons’ appearance on Fox’s “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?”; his role in a Japanese monster flick; Miss Tweed’s preparation for a role in a roller derby exploitation film; Nick getting his own apartment; and Sophie fending off an ill-intentioned teenaged boy.
Oprah’s chicken flap
Customers at a Manhattan KFC hoping to redeem coupons for a free meal were disgruntled when the fast-food restaurant ran out of its new grilled chicken Wednesday, but Internet rumors of a riot were unfounded, a Kentucky Fried Chicken spokeswoman tells Associated Press.
The coupons were touted on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and available on Oprah.com for 24 hours beginning Tuesday. Each downloadable coupon could be redeemed for two pieces of grilled chicken, two sides and a biscuit.
“Some customers were upset because they couldn’t get their chicken, but there was no riot,” said Laurie Schalow.
Miss Schalow said the restaurant planned to begin honoring the coupons again Thursday after supplies were replenished.
KFC introduced its new Kentucky Grilled Chicken about three weeks ago. The new menu item is being touted as lower in fat, calories and sodium than the traditional deep-fried chicken for which KFC is known the world over. Its secret recipe is kept under lock and key near the original 11 herbs and spices recipe for fried chicken created by KFC founder Colonel Harland Sanders.
Miss Schalow said the grilled chicken has been a huge success, and the combination of a bad economy and Miss Winfrey’s popularity created a “perfect storm.”
However, Miss Schalow also said customers have until May 19 to redeem their coupons — Mother’s Day excluded.
A spokeswoman for Miss Winfrey’s Harpo Productions in Chicago said they were not aware of any problems with the coupons, AP reports.
Cable hits on broadcast
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014