- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 10, 2009

Jaime Moreno’s stoppage-time goal from the penalty spot rescued a point as D.C. United tied Toronto FC 3-3 at in a stunning offensive game at RFK Stadium on Saturday night before 15,652.

While United remains unbeaten at home this was the club’s fifth tie of the season and third at RFK. United had just four ties all last year.

“It’s really disappointing,” said United coach Tom Soehn. “We obviously made some key mistakes, not many, but it cost us. We can’t afford to be in a shootout at home.”

United looked to be on its way to its first home loss until Moreno placed the ball passed Toronto goalie Stefan Frei in the 92nd minute.

United took an early lead on a goal from Ange N’Silu, but Toronto responded with second-half goals from Dwayne De Rosario and Adrian Serioux to take the lead. Rookie striker Chris Pontius came on as a late substitute to tie the game in the 86th minute for United, but De Rosario gave his team the lead a minute later with a stunning goal.

N’Silu took advantage of only his second start to earn his first league goal, but defensive errors allowed the visitors back into the game.

With United playing its third game in eight days, Soehn once again rotated a number of his starters. Rookie goalie Milos Kocic earned only his second start, while regular starters Moreno, Santino Quaranta and Pontius were all left on the bench.

Midfielders Fred and Rodney Wallace both had a hand in United’s ninth-minute goal. Frei punched out Devon McTavish’s cross, but Fred headed the ball to Wallace, who returned the pass. Fred then passed the ball forward to N’Silu, who stabbed it home from close range.

Toronto evened the game in the 52nd minute when De Rosario right-footed his goalie’s long kick over the head of the onrushing Kocic.

“We gave up a goal, and it gave them life,” Soehn said. “We don’t feel good about this at all. The communication has to be better.”

In the 63rd minute, United went down 2-1 when Serioux converted Amado Guevara’s corner with a fine header.

Then Moreno came off the bench to replace N’Silu in the 64th minute.

United tied the game when Pontius, a 74th-minute sub, scored his third goal of the year.

A minute later, De Rosario’s high-powered shot from outside the box looked to have buried United. Then with the seconds ticking down, Toronto defender Marvel Wynne handled the ball in the box, setting Moreno up for the penalty kick and his all-time MLS-leading 125th goal.

Marching on - D.C. United has not given up on getting its own stadium. United fans marched from Lincoln Park to RFK Stadium before Saturday night’s game against Toronto FC, demanding a new stadium for the club, which has rented out the 48-year-old venue since 1996.

“You have a four-time championship team which has won a couple of other cups, so give us some respect and build us a stadium,” said Frank Hissong, who brought his high school soccer-playing grandson Adam all the way from Harrisonburg, Va., for the march.

In a speech at a rally before the demonstration, United president Kevin Payne said the most successful club in MLS was still in touch with the three local jurisdictions about a stadium plan.

Talks broke down between the team and the District last year on building a venue at Poplar Point. The club tried its luck in Prince George’s County, but negotiations failed last month when the county council refused to even give the club a full hearing.

“We will be successful the next time, I promise you,” Payne said.

Team officials estimated 1,000 attended the march, while members of Screaming Eagles, a team fan club, said there were about 400.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide