- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Riggleman selected as Nats’ full-time manager
The Washington Nationals selected Jim Riggleman as their 2010 manager, promoting the former interim skipper to the full-time position.
Riggleman was informed of the decision Wednesday, according to club sources. A formal announcement is expected Thursday.
General manager Mike Rizzo did not return messages Wednesday night, but he said earlier in the day that the club would name its manager by the end of the week.
Riggleman, who turned 57 on Monday, appeared to be the front-runner for some time out of a pool of candidates that included former major league managers Bobby Valentine and Bob Melvin, plus former All-Star first baseman Don Mattingly.
The Rockville native was well-respected by Washington players and staff members after taking over for Manny Acta during the All-Star break and posting a 33-42 record the rest of the season. Though his contract expired Oct. 31, he didn’t pursue other jobs, and the Nationals recently supplied him with a new laptop and cell phone.
The Nationals wanted to interview Mattingly, but the Los Angeles Dodgers hitting coach declined the request after his team was eliminated from the playoffs. Rizzo also spoke to Melvin, who previously managed Seattle and Arizona and could be in line to join Washington’s staff as bench coach.
About the Author
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again