- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Inside the ACC
Where they’re headed: It could be an interesting ride for Virginia and the ACC as Bennett implements his “non-negotiables” - notably, a strong commitment to defense. The Cavaliers get the same favorable league schedule as three years ago (when they shared the regular-season title), so that should help.
11. Miami (19-13, 7-9)
Coach: Frank Haith (sixth season, 88-73)
Where they’re at: Trying to figure out how to replace Jack McClinton. The sharpshooter was the Hurricanes’ answer to nearly every problem the past few years, and finding a capable option to take crucial shots won’t be easy. One possibility is transfer Malcolm Grant, a pure scorer who sat out last year after a season at Villanova.
Where they’re headed: It could be a bit bumpy this year. Forward Dwayne Collins is the nearest thing to a certainty for Miami. The Hurricanes will poach a few surprises at home, but they’ll struggle to rise into the top half of the league.
12. N.C. State (16-14, 6-10)
Coach: Sidney Lowe (fourth season, 52-46)
Where they’re at: In quite a bit of a mess. The Wolfpack were a headache for mediocre teams visiting Raleigh last season, but they’ve lost the top three scorers from yet another disjointed team.
Where they’re headed: With three finishes of 10th or worse in as many seasons, Lowe is the ACC coach sure to receive the most scrutiny. There are just too many question marks to project much success for the Wolfpack.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.