- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
Inside the ACC
Where they’re headed: It could be an interesting ride for Virginia and the ACC as Bennett implements his “non-negotiables” - notably, a strong commitment to defense. The Cavaliers get the same favorable league schedule as three years ago (when they shared the regular-season title), so that should help.
11. Miami (19-13, 7-9)
Coach: Frank Haith (sixth season, 88-73)
Where they’re at: Trying to figure out how to replace Jack McClinton. The sharpshooter was the Hurricanes’ answer to nearly every problem the past few years, and finding a capable option to take crucial shots won’t be easy. One possibility is transfer Malcolm Grant, a pure scorer who sat out last year after a season at Villanova.
Where they’re headed: It could be a bit bumpy this year. Forward Dwayne Collins is the nearest thing to a certainty for Miami. The Hurricanes will poach a few surprises at home, but they’ll struggle to rise into the top half of the league.
12. N.C. State (16-14, 6-10)
Coach: Sidney Lowe (fourth season, 52-46)
Where they’re at: In quite a bit of a mess. The Wolfpack were a headache for mediocre teams visiting Raleigh last season, but they’ve lost the top three scorers from yet another disjointed team.
Where they’re headed: With three finishes of 10th or worse in as many seasons, Lowe is the ACC coach sure to receive the most scrutiny. There are just too many question marks to project much success for the Wolfpack.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Redskins free agency: 5 positions to watch
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again