- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
Ovechkin set to return to action
Another benefit since Morrison began manning one of the points: There has been a significant reduction in short-handed scoring chances against.
“I was just trying to do some different things because you knew what the story was going to be - ‘The power play is doing so well, where do you put Alex?’ ” Boudreau said. “So we’re practicing different stuff, and then we’ll figure out what the best situation is for him.”
Last season the combination of Ovechkin and Mike Green on the points for the Caps was devastating for opponents. Ovechkin scored 19 power-play goals, which was second only to Thomas Vanek’s 20, and Green led all defensemen with 18.
This year they have combined for just four, perhaps a result of opponents trying to place more defensive pressure on them (that would also explain the increase in short-handed chances).
Moving Ovechkin up front could alter the way teams have to defend Washington’s power play, and Green in particular could be the guy who benefits the most.
“Mike and [Morrison] right now play well. They control the puck,” Ovechkin said. “It gives us more space, especially Mike and [Morrison] upstairs, but if I have a chance to shoot over there, I might have a better opportunity to score goals.”
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes