- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Health reform written behind closed doors
A White House official did not return a request for comment Friday.
Senate Democrats involved in the conversations defended their process. After the discussions in Mr. Reid’s office, one of the lawmakers or spokesmen have given reporters a broad outline of what topics were discussed. Last week, they talked about the employer mandate and the public option.
Mr. Dodd, who led the health bill through the HELP Committee as a stand-in for then-ailing Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, defended the process.
“The suggestion, somehow, that this is being done otherwise is just blatantly false and a distraction from what, really, we need to be talking about, and that is what’s in these bills, what are we trying to achieve?” he said.
The Finance Committee posted its overhaul legislation and proposed amendments on its Web site, and its mark-up sessions were aired on C-SPAN and the Internet.
“The Finance Committee, the HELP Committee, there were countless hearings, all public, all in the open,” Mr. Baucus, chairman of the Finance Committee, told reporters.
“I have not been involved in such an open and transparent process as this, and I’m very, very proud that we’ve done it,” Mr. Baucus said. “We embarked on this process because it’s the right thing to do, but also to help give senators the comfort that we had a good idea of what it is that we’re doing.”
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.