- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
First Down: Top make-believe facts about Cliff Lee
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
The Fall Classic heads back to Philadelphia, where the Phillies could win their second consecutive title. The threat of rain for Games 3 and 4 could be the biggest foe this weekend, however.
Vikings at Packers
Now it’s Fox’s turn to reap the benefits of Brett Favre facing his old team. Stay tuned to see what kind of records the games sets for total viewers.
No. 3 Texas at No. 13 Oklahoma State
The Cowboys could get the inside edge toward the Big 12 title game with an upset win, but the Longhorns still have BCS championship hopes.
No. 4 USC at No. 10 Oregon
Oregon is leading the Pac-10, but a win by the Trojans would put a Rose Bowl berth up for grabs among as many as four teams.
TWT FIVE MAKE-BELIEVE FACTS ABOUT PHILLIES PITCHER CLIFF LEE
1. Cliff Lee likes to pick up hitchhikers because he never lets a man walk.
2. Cliff Lee once struck out a man just by staring him down.
3. Cliff Lee has no shadow. No one shadows Cliff Lee.
4. The Boogeyman looks in his closet every night to check for Cliff Lee.
5. The Most Interesting Man in the World drinks whatever Cliff Lee is having.
HE SAID WHAT?
“I can’t imagine somebody going five or six straight years to the World Series and winning three or four straight. I can’t even think about that. I’m dying like heck for us to win two.”
- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel
About the Author
Tim Lemke has been the sports business reporter for The Washington Times since 2005, writing on a wide variety of issues ranging from the construction of the Washington Nationals new ballpark to steroid hearings on Capitol Hill. He writes a weekly column titled “SportsBiz” and maintains a blog with the same name. Highlights of his career include playing some very ...
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again