Legendary Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda was honored at the National Portrait Gallery on Tuesday. Here’s a look at some great Lasorda moments:
1. Game 1 of 1988 World Series — Kirk Gibson said he had one swing in him, but it was up to Lasorda to trust him.
2. 2000 Summer Olympics — The United States winning a baseball gold medal? Lasorda helped make it happen.
3. 2001 All-Star Game — A piece of a bat went flying at the third-base coach, causing him to flip head over heels — and luckily just provide a laugh while not getting hurt.
4. Fights with the Phillie Phanatic — Upset that a Lasorda doll was used in several Phanatic routines, the manager took it upon himself to actually beat up the mascot.
5. Final game as manager — It was June 23, 1996, and he had a heart attack the next day, showing maybe he really did bleed Dodger blue.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Video reviews of today's hottest trends in Minecraft (servers and mods) along with a look at the latest video games with your host MCairsoft14 (alias Jerad Zad).
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention