- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Question of the Day
“We talked about it, but we decided not to change in the last year,” Mr. Riley said. “Not to do it this year seemed a little disingenuous.”
It’s a long-standing tradition for both the University of Alabama and Auburn University to provide tickets and free parking to state leaders for the annual Iron Bowl. The Birmingham News reported that at least 28 officials turned down the 2010 tickets. Some gave them away.
Cuomo moves first big speech to convention center
ALBANY | Gov.-elect Andrew M. Cuomo has shifted the venue for his first major policy speech from the state Assembly chamber to the Empire State Plaza Convention Center, roughly doubling the capacity with about 1,000 more seats.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says requests for invitations to the Jan. 5 State of the State Address have exceeded the Assembly capacity.
Mr. Cuomo says he wants more of the public to attend. General-admission tickets will be distributed through a lottery process. Details were not immediately disclosed.
The address, where governors often lay out plans for the coming year, are usually attended by legislators, lobbyists and reporters.
Mr. Cuomo said Wednesday that Mr. Silver, a Democrat, and Republican Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos will also speak.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- 'Duck Dynasty' star's daughter gets charity boost from congressman
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs