- The Washington Times - Monday, January 25, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan | The Afghan government on Sunday postponed parliament elections for four months, citing security concerns, logistical problems and a lack of enough money from the country’s international partners to pay for them.

The U.S. and its allies urged the Afghans to use the time to reform the electoral system to avoid a repeat of last year’s fraud-marred election, which undercut international support for President Hamid Karzai and threatened the Obama administration’s strategy for reversing the tide of the war.

Another flawed balloting would make it difficult for Western leaders to rally support for the war among their own constituencies as U.S. and NATO casualties rise. Three American service members were killed Sunday in two separate bombings in southern Afghanistan.

That brings to 25 the number of American deaths in Afghanistan so far this month, compared with 14 for the whole of January last year. Sunday’s bombing also brought to five the number of American service members killed in bombings over two days in southern Afghanistan, the Taliban heartland. The first explosion killed two troopers and one died in a second blast, NATO said.

The Independent Election Commission, whose chairman is appointed by the president, said it needed about $50 million from the international community to pay for the parliamentary election, budgeted to cost $120 million.

That money has not come through in time to hold the vote as planned on May 22, according to Commissioner Fazel Ahmed Manawi. He also attributed the delay to security concerns, logistical challenges and the need to improve the election process. The vote will be held on Sept. 18 instead, he said.

The U.S. Embassy said it respects the decision and would work with the Afghans “to pursue election reform for the upcoming parliamentary elections and for the long term.”

The U.N. said the decision would allow time to prepare for the vote and to improve the electoral process based on lessons learned from past votes. “This would have been extremely difficult to do by the original date,” it said in a statement.

U.S. and other international officials had made clear they would not pay for another election without a top-to-bottom overhaul of the electoral system in the wake of August’s balloting. U.N.-backed auditors threw out more than 1 million votes cast for Mr. Karzai, prompting a runoff set for November.

Mr. Karzai was proclaimed the winner only after his last remaining challenger, ex-Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah, dropped out, saying he was not confident the second-round balloting would be any cleaner than the first.

Mr. Karzai left Afghanistan on Sunday for Turkey en route to London for a major international conference Thursday aimed at shoring up support for the Afghan government.

Also Sunday, Afghan authorities announced the arrest of the alleged ringleader of a bold Jan. 18 attack in the heart of Kabul that paralyzed the city for hours and left 12 people dead.

Gen. Nahim Baluch, the deputy director of Afghanistan’s intelligence service, said that the ringleader — whom he did not name — and several other suspects confessed to their role in the attack.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide