- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The left’s homosexual ‘tolerance’ canard
In his well-written column on California's Proposition 8 ("A marriage proposal," Opinion, Wednesday), R. Emmett Tyrrell Jr. asks what the goal of the homosexual lobby is in pushing for marriage when contract law should satisfy the lobby's stated objectives.
I think the answer is obvious. The homosexual lobbying groups want to force acceptance on people who will tolerate the practice when conducted in private but are uncomfortable with it. In this way, homosexuality would become accepted as normal. Back when the American Psychiatric Association changed its stance on homosexual conduct from a mental issue to a normal human behavior, the cry from the left was about tolerance.
The political left says it has always been an issue of tolerance. Now we are seeing what their real agenda has been all along: They want to use the public square and civil rights legislation to push acceptance, not tolerance, on those who are in disagreement with the homosexual lifestyle.
This is, in my opinion, plain old wrong. To demand tolerance and courtesy from the general public is one thing, but it is tyrannical to demand that people be forced to accept another's behavior when they find it offensive.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment