- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
Nobel laureate Vargas Llosa’s birth home honored
LIMA, PERU (AP) - Peru has declared the house where Nobel Prize-winning author Mario Vargas Llosa was born to be part of the nation's "cultural patrimony."
Culture Minister Juan Ossio says filmmaker Luis Llosa, the writer's cousin, will be in charge of restoring the home in the southern city of Arequipa and turning it into a museum.
Vargas Llosa was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature last month in recognition of his more than 30 novels, plays and essays, including "Conversation in the Cathedral" and "The Green House."
He was born in 1936 at the Arequipa house, which dates from the late 19th or early 20th century, and spent his early years living there.
Ossio said Thursday at a ceremony that it is the home of "a great Peruvian."
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again