- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
Gray officially elected next mayor of D.C.
The presumptions are official. Vincent Gray, former D.C. Council chairman, is Washington’s mayor-elect, and his colleague, Kwame Brown, is chairman-elect.
Neither Democrat faced Republican challengers, so their victories on Tuesday were practically guaranteed and early returns showed them with more than 90 percent of the vote.
The only challenge of consequence that Mr. Gray faced was a risky write-in challenge by Republicans and other voters discontented with Mr. Gray’s defeat of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty in the September Democratic primary.
Some other Democrats did fac Republican challenges.
According to early results, D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton easily beat back Republican Missy Reilly Smith, whose campaign ads depicting graphic abortions drew national attention.
Preliminary numbers also projected GOP defeats in four ward races, where, if early numbers hold, Democratic incumbents would retain their D.C. Counciil seats.
Voters also gave a nod to the sole ballot issue, which asked whether the D.C. Home Rule Charter should be amended to allow the election of an attorney general. The majority of voters said they favored such a measure, according to early tallies.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- BRUCE: The power of bossy
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014