Five face new charges for 2010 Southeast D.C. shootings

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

Five men previously indicted on murder charges for shootings on South Capitol Street last year that shocked the District and prompted legislation to thwart youth violence face a total of 30 new charges in a superseding indictment, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District said.

The indictment returned Wednesday links a series of violent attacks during an eight-day span last March in Southeast, including five murders and nine shootings that did not result in death.

The defendants, all from the District, are: Sanquan Carter, 20, his brother, Orlando Carter, 21; Jeffrey D. Best, 22; Robert Bost, 22; and Lamar J. Williams, 22. They face counts of conspiracy, assault with intent to kill while armed and other offenses in the new indictment.

Authorities say the spasm of violence began March 22 with the murder of Jordan Howe on Alabama Avenue in Southeast, reportedly over a stolen bracelet. The alleged gunman, Orlando Carter, was shot in retaliation the next day near Sixth and Chesapeake streets, prosecutors said.

That provoked Orlando Carter and others to strike back with the March 30 attacks on South Capitol Street and an additional shooting on nearby Galveston Street, which left four people dead and six wounded.

The Carter brothers, Mr. Best and Mr. Williams were charged with the murder of Mr. Howe, the U.S. attorney said. Sanquan Carter was detained March 23, and the other defendants are accused of the shootings that took place while he was in jail.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks