SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A California man who was once known as the nation’s worst serial killer was again denied parole Monday after he admitted his guilt for the first time before the parole board.
Juan Corona said he murdered and mutilated 25 farmworkers four decades ago because they were trespassing in the orchards north of Sacramento, said Sutter County Assistant District Attorney Jana McClung.
Corona previously made incriminating statements to a prison psychologist.
However, “this is the first time that I’m aware of that he made that admission to the full board. He said it was trespassing and they were winos,” Miss McClung said. “He just doesn’t seem to realize that what he did was wrong.”
Corona, 77, has been diagnosed with dementia and mental illness.
No relatives of his victims attended the hearing. Prosecutors said Corona targeted victims who had few kinfolk and likely wouldn’t be missed.
“We have had no contact with survivors for two decades now,” District Attorney Carl Adams said before the hearing. “The people who he killed were farm laborers who were itinerant. Most of them didn’t have relatives who could be contacted back in the ‘70s at the time of trial.”
Four of the bodies have never been identified. The bodies of 14 of Corona’s victims were never claimed by family members after they were discovered in 1971.
Corona, a farm labor contractor with a history of mental illness, was convicted of stabbing the men, hacking open their heads and burying their remains near Yuba City, 40 miles north of Sacramento.
He told the parole board he stabbed his first victim with a kitchen knife, shot his second, and killed the rest with a machete, Miss McClung said. However, there is no record of any of his victims being shot, she said, raising questions about whether there was another possible victim or if the shooting was a product of Corona’s fading mind.
“He was a little bit all over the road,” she said. “He did start rambling a little bit.”
Corona’s attorney, Leon Harris III of Bakersfield, declined to comment before the hearing.
Corona’s first conviction in 1973 was overturned on appeal, but he was convicted again in 1982 and sentenced to 25 concurrent life sentences. He was not eligible for the death penalty because California’s capital punishment law had been ruled unconstitutional at the time.View Entire Story
By John Solomon
How the government's punishing of the exposure of official wrongdoing can linger for years
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
What does the middle-class conservative think about everything? Find out here.
A carefully guided tour through the confusing world of modern bookselling and publishing.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention