- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Police clash with anti-Putin demonstrators
MOSCOW — Police clashed Tuesday on a central Moscow square with about 100 demonstrators trying to hold a second day of protests against alleged vote fraud in Russia’s parliamentary elections.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party saw a significant drop in support in Sunday’s election, but it still will have a majority in parliament. Opponents say even that watered-down victory was due to massive vote fraud.
Clinton meets with Syrian opposition
GENEVA — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton held a rare meeting on Tuesday with Syrian opposition figures.
Her invitation was a step short of endorsement but a clear sign the U.S. wants to work closely with those who might assume leadership roles.
“Obviously, a democratic transition is more than removing the Assad regime. It means setting Syria on the path of the rule of law,” she told the activists, who are exiles in Europe.
Tuesday’s meeting marked the second time Mrs. Clinton has held an in-person session with opposition members.
Afghanistan opens bids on gold, copper deposits
KABUL — Afghanistan opened bids Tuesday on billions of dollars’ worth of copper and gold deposits in four areas of the country that together are roughly half the size of the Grand Canyon.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again