- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
NYC museum features exhibition on Apollo Theater
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - New York City’s Apollo Theater launched the careers of such legends as Ella Fitzgerald. It also was the site of memorial services for Michael Jackson and James Brown, and a 2007 presidential campaign rally for Barack Obama.
A new exhibition at the Museum of the City of New York will highlight these and other seminal events of the 75-year-old landmark in the Harlem neighborhood.
The exhibit, “Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing,” will run from Feb. 8 to May 1.
Highlights include record album covers, costumes and accessories belonging to Count Basie, Louis Armstrong and other iconic artists.
The exhibit also will include letters from Adam Clayton Powell and Martin Luther King Jr.
It has been organized by the Apollo and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq