- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
`Inside Job’ earns DGA documentary honor
Question of the Day
Fincher, a past guild and Oscar nominee for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” won the directing prize at the Golden Globes for “The Social Network,” which also earned him best-director honors from key critics groups.
Marking its 75th anniversary, the Directors Guild dispensed with its usual honorary and lifetime-achievement awards in favor of a look back at the union’s legacy. Directors such as Steven Spielberg, Clint Eastwood and last year’s feature-film winner Kathryn Bigelow (“The Hurt Locker”) introduced a series of short films centered on King Vidor, John Ford, George Stevens, Frank Capra and other guild pioneers.
The Directors Guild prizes are followed this weekend by Sunday night’s Screen Actors Guild Awards, the last big honors before the Feb. 27 Oscars.
TWT Video Picks
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq