- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Spending data show December sales strong
In the teen arena, Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is seeing a resurgence in sales, drawing shoppers back from lower-priced Aeropostale Inc., which was a winner early in the recession but has discounted its goods as much as 75 percent to keep shoppers interested. In children’s clothing, the lower-priced Children’s Place is losing ground to competitors Gymboree and Gap Kids, both of which have been discounting but offer higher quality, Mr. Morris said.
Thursday’s other winners are likely to include Macy's Inc., whose tailoring of merchandise to local markets took hold this holiday season. Luxury merchants such as Saks Inc. also are expected to fare well, as are discounters including Target, which is expected to benefit from the 5 percent discount it is offering customers who pay with its branded credit cards.
Ken Perkins, president of RetailMetrics LLC, will dissect the individual retailers’ reports for any commentary on whether markdowns had any effect on profits.
Analysts also will want details on how post-Christmas shopping is shaping up and what role gift cards are playing. And, of course, there’s the blizzard.
“The blizzard is clearly a wild card in trying to assess December,” Mr. Perkins said.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- First pot business license issued in Washington
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again