- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Real beneficiaries of the ‘stimulus’
Question of the Day
It was depressing but not surprising to read that tax cheats received $24 billion in stimulus money (“Stimulus recipients found to be tax cheats,” Page One, Wednesday).
Billions more in stimulus money were wasted previously by the Obama administration. Stimulus funds have gone to prisoners and dead people. Billions were spent on foreign “green” jobs, effectively outsourcing American positions. Other provisions in the stimulus package wiped out jobs in America’s export sector by reducing purchases of American products in Mexico and Canada. Stimulus money was used for abandoned bridges to nowhere and unnecessary government buildings in cities with declining populations, such as Milwaukee and Detroit.
A recent study by economists Bill Dupor and Timothy Conley found that the stimulus has wiped out 550,000 jobs. After reviewing its harmful provisions, Harvard University economist Jeffrey Miron concluded that the stimulus package was designed to reward special-interest “constituencies,” not to boost the economy.
Competitive Enterprise Institute
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014