- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
CARACAS — One-third of Venezuela’s population has signed up for housing subsidies under a plan launched this year by President Hugo Chavez, the state news agency AVN said.
Mr. Chavez, a leftist who plans to run for a third term next year despite a bout with cancer, has promised to build 2 million state-funded housing units in six years to eliminate a shortage.
Ricardo Mendez, the minister of science, technology and intermediate industries, told AVN that nearly 3.7 million families had signed up for the program since May, when it was launched.
That represents 10.8 million people, or more than a third of the country’s 28.8 million people, he said.
Of those, three-quarters want a home of their own, 17 percent want money for repairs, and 8.2 percent want an addition to an existing home.
The government plans to build 153,000 units of public housing this year.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Eric Cantor rejects latest Obama immigration outreach
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.