- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Taking Names: Jolie to play Gertrude Bell, ‘female Lawrence of Arabia’
Question of the Day
Jolie to play Gertrude Bell, ‘female Lawrence of Arabia’
Angelina Jolie is set to play a British woman who helped map out the modern Middle East in the early 20th century, the Hollywood Reporter said Friday.
According to Agence France-Presse, the Oscar-winning actress is slated to play the title character in “Gertrude Bell,” who has been described as the female Lawrence of Arabia for her pioneering work in establishing the framework for what would become Jordan and Iraq.
The project is still in development by British director Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions, said THR, noting that Miss Jolie has a history of playing strong female characters.
Bell was passionate about archaeology and languages, spoke several languages including Arabic and Persian, and wrote about her extensive travels in a number of books, including “Persian Pictures,” and “Syria: The Desert and the Sown.”
During World War I, Bell, who won widespread admiration among Arabs, worked as a British spy and helped to dismantle the Ottoman Empire and to found Iraq.
The project’s screenplay is being written by Jeffrey Caine, who wrote the script for 2005’s “The Constant Gardner.”
Schwarzenegger injured on set of ‘The Last Stand’
Arnold Schwarzenegger has been banged around and bloodied while filming a contemporary Western movie in Albuquerque.
The New York Post reports the former California governor posted on Twitter that he got a little banged up Thursday on the set of “The Last Stand,” in which he portrays a small-town sheriff who takes on a drug kingpin.
Mr. Schwarzenegger thanked the medical staff who returned him to action an hour later.
A photo shows what appears to be a bloody cut in the middle of the actor’s forehead.
Mr. Schwarzenegger has been tweeting and posting pictures about his offset activities, which have included sightseeing and shopping for warm clothing for cast members.
Helen Mirren to co-host Nobel Peace Prize concert
Organizers say British actress Helen Mirren will co-host this year’s Nobel Peace Prize concert, featuring performances by Benin’s Angelique Kidjo and other world artists.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq