- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Taking Names: Jolie to play Gertrude Bell, ‘female Lawrence of Arabia’
Question of the Day
Jolie to play Gertrude Bell, ‘female Lawrence of Arabia’
Angelina Jolie is set to play a British woman who helped map out the modern Middle East in the early 20th century, the Hollywood Reporter said Friday.
According to Agence France-Presse, the Oscar-winning actress is slated to play the title character in “Gertrude Bell,” who has been described as the female Lawrence of Arabia for her pioneering work in establishing the framework for what would become Jordan and Iraq.
The project is still in development by British director Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions, said THR, noting that Miss Jolie has a history of playing strong female characters.
Bell was passionate about archaeology and languages, spoke several languages including Arabic and Persian, and wrote about her extensive travels in a number of books, including “Persian Pictures,” and “Syria: The Desert and the Sown.”
During World War I, Bell, who won widespread admiration among Arabs, worked as a British spy and helped to dismantle the Ottoman Empire and to found Iraq.
The project’s screenplay is being written by Jeffrey Caine, who wrote the script for 2005’s “The Constant Gardner.”
Schwarzenegger injured on set of ‘The Last Stand’
Arnold Schwarzenegger has been banged around and bloodied while filming a contemporary Western movie in Albuquerque.
The New York Post reports the former California governor posted on Twitter that he got a little banged up Thursday on the set of “The Last Stand,” in which he portrays a small-town sheriff who takes on a drug kingpin.
Mr. Schwarzenegger thanked the medical staff who returned him to action an hour later.
A photo shows what appears to be a bloody cut in the middle of the actor’s forehead.
Mr. Schwarzenegger has been tweeting and posting pictures about his offset activities, which have included sightseeing and shopping for warm clothing for cast members.
Helen Mirren to co-host Nobel Peace Prize concert
Organizers say British actress Helen Mirren will co-host this year’s Nobel Peace Prize concert, featuring performances by Benin’s Angelique Kidjo and other world artists.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Perhaps we're not as free as we think
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Latest Obama claim: I don't learn anything from the news
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq