- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Biblical advice for Obama
Question of the Day
President Obama and White House press secretary Jay Carney mistakenly assumed that the common phrase “God helps those who help themselves” is in the Bible (“Obama calls for action by Congress on jobs bill,” Web, Wednesday).
If they want real political advice from the Bible, they should read I Kings 10 or 2 Chronicles 12. When Rehoboam, grandson of King David and son of Solomon, became king of ancient Israel, he did not listen to experienced advisers. Instead, he took the advice of his inexperienced associates and told the people he would add to their “yoke” of taxes and service. Subsequently, 10 tribes rebelled and separated into the Kingdom of Israel. Thereafter, Rehoboam and his descendants were left ruling only Judah.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine