- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Redistricting leaves Harris sitting atop GOP stronghold
Mr. Mathias said he has not heard much buzz about other Democrats challenging Mr. Harris but thinks the party could win the seat in future years, under the right circumstances.
“I think it’s all about the person, and if we can get less about the affiliations, things will be fine.” he said. “But would we like the numbers to be better? Sure.”
While Republicans could control the 1st District for years to come, they are not necessarily happy with the change, said Sen. E.J. Pipkin, Cecil Republican.
Mr. Pipkin accused the governor of packing Republicans into the district to keep them out of other districts and argued that many Baltimore and Carroll communities now in District 1 have little in common with its core residents on the Eastern Shore.
He also downplayed any assertions that the district’s congressional seat will remain safe for Republicans.
“Every election is unique,” he said. “Clearly, the district has some leanings, but any individual in the right place at the right time can do something.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Obama unveils new $600 billion jobs initiative
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EDITORIAL: Got (raw) milk?
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.