You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Luisi’s Met role irks Rome

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

ROME (AP) - Rome's Teatro dell'Opera says Fabio Luisi's last-minute bolting from his engagement to conduct "Elektra" so he could conduct at New York's Metropolitan Opera hurts the world of lyric opera. The Italian capital's opera house says it is considering taking legal action.

Last week, the Met announced that Luisi had been named as principal conductor, filling in for music director James Levine, who re-injured his back in a fall.

The Rome opera house on its Web site Sunday called Luisi's leaving it in the lurch an "unpleasant affair" that hurts its image and audience. Directing Richard Strauss's "Elektra" starting on Sept. 30 will be Hungarian-born Stefan Soltesz.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks