Continued from page 2

“When they woke up this morning and smelled something, they were turning on things and ‘boom!’ — the explosion,” Mr. Moore said.

The gas fumes apparently were sparked by an appliance, he said.

The couple, in their 50s, both suffered second-degree burns and are at Harborview Medical Center. The woman has life-threatening injuries. The man is in serious condition and was able to talk to investigators.

The explosion around 6 a.m. Monday rattled homes across north Seattle. It broke windows in nearby homes and debris fell a block away.

From wire dispatches and staff reports