- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
HURT: Re-election trumps phony green hype
REDEYE, Va. — President Obama wants to kill you.
First came the death panels, unchecked socialism and czarists run amok. Now Mr. Obama has decided to kill as many as 12,000 Americans. In addition, he aims to give heart attacks to another 5,300, send 20,000 more to hospitals and emergency rooms and sicken another 2.5 million so they miss school or work.
An exaggeration, you think? Vile blather from evil right-wing talk radio? Crazy vitriol from those racist tea partyers?
Nope. These figures and this scientific analysis come directly from none other than the Obama administration itself.
According to a painstaking analysis last year by Mr. Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency based on more than 1,700 scientific studies, dramatic new air-quality guidelines are needed to lower ground-level smog from the current 0.075 parts per million to as low as 0.060 ppm.
That, according to the EPA’s study, would save the lives of as many as 12,000 Americans.
Dubbed a “regulatory train wreck,” the new rules would have caused a wave of coal-fired power plants — still our country’s largest power source — to shut down. But Mr. Obama and his EPA insisted in dire warnings that the drastic new steps had to be taken to save lives.
Then, late last week, in a stunning turnabout, the president quietly announced his decision to junk the new ozone standards — sentencing, according to the administration’s own calculus, 12,000 Americans to die.
It is not surprising that Mr. Obama’s reversal on the desire to save lives was buried on a sleepy Friday before a holiday weekend. Then he quickly scurried out of town for another vacation.
The bombshell announcement comes just as Mr. Obama’s re-election campaign is searching for its footing. Perhaps the specter of rolling blackouts on top of 9 percent unemployment gave his campaign operatives a wee bit of nausea.
The move shows the deep, mindless desperation of a guy flailing around, terrified of the political situation he’s gotten himself into and hopelessly turning dials, wildly shifting levers and frantically punching buttons in hope that something — anything — might halt his political free-fall.
Last week it was dumping environmentalists overboard. The week before, it was amnesty for illegal aliens he hopes will — illegally — vote for him in the next election. What will next Friday’s doomsday announcement be? He suddenly supports reparations for slavery in order to gird lagging support among black voters?
Even more shocking, the announcement is an admission that the whole underpinning of leftist governance is a farce. It proves that oppressive government overregulation cannot coexist with a thriving, free, entrepreneurial economy.
It also is an admission that the very utopia envisioned by the greenies and embraced by the left really wouldn’t be a very pretty place. It would be a country where unelected college professors made all the decisions that impact every aspect of our daily lives.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives train in luxury
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again