- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
HURT: Re-election trumps phony green hype
REDEYE, Va. — President Obama wants to kill you.
First came the death panels, unchecked socialism and czarists run amok. Now Mr. Obama has decided to kill as many as 12,000 Americans. In addition, he aims to give heart attacks to another 5,300, send 20,000 more to hospitals and emergency rooms and sicken another 2.5 million so they miss school or work.
An exaggeration, you think? Vile blather from evil right-wing talk radio? Crazy vitriol from those racist tea partyers?
Nope. These figures and this scientific analysis come directly from none other than the Obama administration itself.
According to a painstaking analysis last year by Mr. Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency based on more than 1,700 scientific studies, dramatic new air-quality guidelines are needed to lower ground-level smog from the current 0.075 parts per million to as low as 0.060 ppm.
That, according to the EPA’s study, would save the lives of as many as 12,000 Americans.
Dubbed a “regulatory train wreck,” the new rules would have caused a wave of coal-fired power plants — still our country’s largest power source — to shut down. But Mr. Obama and his EPA insisted in dire warnings that the drastic new steps had to be taken to save lives.
Then, late last week, in a stunning turnabout, the president quietly announced his decision to junk the new ozone standards — sentencing, according to the administration’s own calculus, 12,000 Americans to die.
It is not surprising that Mr. Obama’s reversal on the desire to save lives was buried on a sleepy Friday before a holiday weekend. Then he quickly scurried out of town for another vacation.
The bombshell announcement comes just as Mr. Obama’s re-election campaign is searching for its footing. Perhaps the specter of rolling blackouts on top of 9 percent unemployment gave his campaign operatives a wee bit of nausea.
The move shows the deep, mindless desperation of a guy flailing around, terrified of the political situation he’s gotten himself into and hopelessly turning dials, wildly shifting levers and frantically punching buttons in hope that something — anything — might halt his political free-fall.
Last week it was dumping environmentalists overboard. The week before, it was amnesty for illegal aliens he hopes will — illegally — vote for him in the next election. What will next Friday’s doomsday announcement be? He suddenly supports reparations for slavery in order to gird lagging support among black voters?
Even more shocking, the announcement is an admission that the whole underpinning of leftist governance is a farce. It proves that oppressive government overregulation cannot coexist with a thriving, free, entrepreneurial economy.
It also is an admission that the very utopia envisioned by the greenies and embraced by the left really wouldn’t be a very pretty place. It would be a country where unelected college professors made all the decisions that impact every aspect of our daily lives.
About the Author
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- HURT: Let us all give thanks for George Mason and the Bill of Rights
- HURT: Obama is a greater threat than Toronto's crack mayor Rob Ford
- HURT: It's the Democrats, not the GOP, facing a looming civil war
- HURT: Sarah Palin knew a death panel when she saw one
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- President Obama acknowledges living with illegal immigrant uncle: report
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
NFL junkie Eric Golub reports on his favorite obsession. There is no football offseason. Every February he pretends to care about other sports while sobbing uncontrollably each Sunday until September.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
White House pets gone wild!