- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Axelrod: Selection of Ryan evokes memories of Palin
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior political adviser to President Obama is likening presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's selection of Rep. Paul Ryan as his running mate to Sen. John McCain's choice of then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.
David Axelrod told "CBS This Morning" that he recalls "that kind of excitement four years ago" when Mr. McCain presented Mrs. Palin to the country as his choice for vice president. Mr. Axelrod said in Monday's interview he thinks the selection of Mr. Ryan, who is popular with tea party figures — as Mrs. Palin was — is "not going to be a plus for Mr. Romney."
Mr. Axelrod said he likes Mr. Ryan personally, but he also is labeling the Wisconsin Republican "a certifiable right-wing ideologue."
Mr. Obama's adviser said Mr. Ryan is "a genial fellow, but his views are quite harsh," and he said that "these Republicans don't like Medicare."
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq