YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) — Yosemite National Park officials on Thursday said a man died and a woman is recovering after contracting a rare rodent-borne disease in popular lodging area.
Tests after the man died confirmed he succumbed to hantavirus, park officials said. Both victims stayed in tent cabins in the park in June.
Park officials said the hantavirus has been detected in deer mice around Curry Village Campground.
The virus takes one to six weeks to incubate. It's fatal for about 30 percent of people who contract it, most likely by inhaling the virus from mouse urine or droppings.
The park concessionaire has been working to disinfect cabins since the discovery, and officials have been trapping and testing mice.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
From raising children to identifying educational and service options for your children, Speaking of Family is where you can write...
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall